EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES : SUMMER CAMP ASSISTANTS
The Delaplaine is seeking two dependable, motivated, and enthusiastic individuals interested in youth and arts education to assist in the operations of our summer art camps as seasonal Summer Camp Assistants.
Compensation for this position is $14 per hour.
Art Camps at the Delaplaine
- June 12 to August 4
- Monday through Friday (no camp July 3 or 4)
- Open to children ages 6 to 14
- Morning and afternoon camp sessions are taught by professional art instructors
Each week, there are usually two camp sessions 10:00 am to noon and another pair 1:00 to 3:00 pm. Campers may sign up for morning, afternoon, or both, as well as optional before and after care.
Chief Objectives of the Position
The Summer Camp Assistants are responsible for the well-being and enjoyment of summer camp participants and supporting summer camp instructors. Reliable, consistent attendance is required. Summer Camp Assistants report to the Director of Programs.
- Display an inviting and enthusiastic attitude with excellent attention to campers’ well-being and enjoyment
- Work together to plan, prepare, and implement art activities for before and after care participants in consultation with the Manager of Instruction
- Monitor before or after care campers and lunchtime participants as needed
- Guide campers during daily transitions throughout the building, ensuring that all campers are where they should be at all times
- Ensure safety by practicing weekly fire and/or other safety drills
- Serve as a classroom aide under the direction of camp instructors
- Organize and replenish art supplies and clean classrooms as directed by the Instruction Manager
- Ensure activity areas are kept clean and organized
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues with kindness and compassion and in consultation with the Director of Programs
- At least 18 years old
- Education and/or experience in youth programs, such as summer camps, Scouts, etc.
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to identify potential improvements and make those improvements either independently or in consultation with more experienced staff
- Ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Strong organizational and communication skills
The ideal candidate will also have college-level education in art and/or education.
Terms of Employment
- Temporary, seasonal, part-time position (up to 37.5 hours per week)
- Attendance required at paid summer camp training (4-hour session, paid, date to be determined)
- Assistant 1: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
- Assistant 2: 10:00 to 5:30 pm, or whenever the last student is picked up
- Cleared by background checks provided by The Delaplaine
- A reasonable amount of unpaid days off are permitted, if communicated well in advance
How to Apply
Email the following materials to Kristen Butler, Director of Programs:
- Cover letter indicating why you are interested and why you would be a good fit, as well as whether you prefer the schedule of Assistant 1 or Assistant 2, as outlined above
- Resume highlighting relevant experience
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references
This position is open until filled.