EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES : SUMMER CAMP ASSISTANT
The Delaplaine is seeking a dependable, motivated, and enthusiastic individual interested in youth and arts education to assist in the operations of our summer art camps as a seasonal Summer Camp Assistant.
Compensation for this position is $14 per hour.
Art Camps at the Delaplaine
- June 17 to August 16
- Monday through Friday (no camp July 4 or 5)
- Open to children ages 6 to 14
- Morning and afternoon camp sessions are taught by professional art instructors
Each week, there are usually two camp sessions 10:00 am to noon and another pair 1:00 to 3:00 pm. Campers may sign up for morning, afternoon, or both, as well as optional before and after care (8:30 to 10:00 am and 3:00 to 5:30 pm, respectively).
Chief Objectives of the Position
The two Summer Camp Assistants are responsible for the well-being and enjoyment of summer camp participants and supporting summer camp instructors. (NOTE: One of the two positions has already been filled.) Reliable, consistent attendance is required. Summer Camp Assistants report to the Director of Programs.
- Display an inviting and enthusiastic attitude with excellent attention to campers’ well-being and enjoyment
- Work together with the other Camp Assistant to plan, prepare, and implement art activities for before and after care campers and lunchtime participants
- Monitor after care campers and lunchtime participants
- Ensure that all campers are where they should be at all times
- Ensure safety by practicing weekly fire and/or other safety drills
- Serve as a classroom aide under the direction of camp instructors
- Organize and replenish art supplies and clean classrooms
- Ensure activity areas are kept clean and organized
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues with kindness and compassion and in consultation with the Director of Programs
- At least 18 years old
- Education and/or experience in youth programs, such as summer camps, Scouts, etc.
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to identify potential improvements and make those improvements either independently or in consultation with more experienced staff
- Ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Strong organizational and communication skills
The ideal candidate will also have college-level education in art and/or education.
Terms of Employment
- Temporary, seasonal position (up to 40 hours per week)
- Attendance required at paid summer camp training (4-hour session, paid, date to be determined)
- Schedule: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, or whenever the last student is picked up
- Cleared by background checks provided by The Delaplaine
- A reasonable amount of unpaid days off are permitted, if communicated well in advance
How to Apply
Email the following materials to Kristen Butler, Director of Programs:
- Cover letter indicating why you are interested and why you would be a good fit
- Resume highlighting relevant experience
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references
This position is open until filled.